Are Mermaids real?
Don’t be so quick to answer. How much do we really know about the ocean? Earth is covered primarily by water and over 95% of the ocean remains unexplored. In fact, scientists know more about the surface of the moon than the ocean’s deep coral reefs. With so much of the underwater world still a mystery, why couldn’t Mermaids exist?
This November, we invite you to believe in the possibility… Mermaids are a magical part of our imagination. Their story has been passed down in literature and mythology, by sailors and pirates, and even in Hollywood.
Just take a look at all the stories and sightings recorded throughout history:
- 1000 BC – Assyrian Mythology tells of Atargatis, the goddess who turns into a mermaid
- 800 BC – Homer’s The Odyssey describes lovely Sirens, a version of mermaids
- 1493 – Christopher Columbus notates mermaid sightings in daily log during 1st voyage to find a western trade route to Asia, before arriving in America
- 1847 – Hans Christian Andersen’s The Little Mermaid first published
- 1984 – Ron Howard’s Splash premieres in movie theaters
- 1989 – Disney Animation’s The Little Mermaid released in theaters
- 2009 – Sightings on a beach in Kiryat Yam, Israel lead to $1 million dollar reward posted by Israeli government for evidence
- 2012 – Animal Planet airs the docu-fiction Mermaids: The Body Found
- 2014 – Mermaids swim at Adventure Aquarium for the first time – witnessed by over 24,000 people!
- 2015 – Mermaids dive into Ocean Realm to record-breaking crowds once more.
- 2016 – Mermaids return to Adventure Aquarium to see YOU!
Back by popular demand, you can experience the magical world of Mermaids every day from Saturday, November 5 through Sunday, November 13 when they return for a limited time engagement at Adventure Aquarium. Prepare to be mesmerized as you witness a real-life Mermaid swimming among sharks, sea turtles, stingrays and colorful fish in our 760,000-gallon Ocean Realm exhibit. Visit with a Mermaid on dry land during daily meet and greets, enjoy character appearances and more!
The Mermaid Experience is included with Aquarium admission.
Are you curious about what the Mermaids have planned? Here’s a sampling of programming:
NEW! Mermaid Autographs – Have the opportunity to meet a Mermaid up close and on dry land in Shark Realm. Mermaid autographs are available daily during Mermaids.
Swimming Mermaid – At Ocean Realm “Panoramic” window, experience the underwater Mermaid as she swims among rare shark species, massive sea turtles, stingrays and more.
Meet a Mermaid! – Come up close on dry land for daily Mermaid meet and greets in Zone B. Have your picture taken with a Mermaid and take home a lasting memory of the magic you and your family experience.
Pirate Captain Appearance – Pirate greetings to all when entering the aquarium. Meet, greet and get your picture taken with one of our pirates all during Mermaids.
Mermaid and Pirate Face Painting and Glitter Tattoos – Channel your inner mermaid or pirate during your visit. Stacey’s Face Painting will offer themed face painting designs daily during Mermaids.
Mermaid Craft Table – Can’t get enough of Mermaids? Join us for Mermaid and Pirate arts and crafts! Create your very own Mermaid or Pirate theme crown – only on weekends.
Mermaid Shop – Mermaid merchandise will be available all week. From Mermaid apparel to Mermaid blankets to Pirate themed toys, there sure is something for all to enjoy (while supplies last).
During the Mermaid Experience at Adventure Aquarium, you will journey to a place where Mermaids are real. Their home is well-hidden from humans and you are about to discover it.
Are you ready for your Mermaid Adventure?